The Cannabis Business: Understanding Law, Finance, and Governance in America's Newest Industry
By Vicente Sederberg LLP
Dec 18, 2020
We are pleased to announce the book co-authored by leaders of Vicente Sederberg LLP, The Cannabis Business: Understanding Law, Finance, and Governance in America’s Newest Industry, will be released December 30 — and it's on sale now! Order online via the publisher and use discount code SSM20 to save 20%, or you can find it on Amazon.
This comprehensive primer on all things cannabis law is a must-have for anyone seeking to understand the major practical legal issues facing the cannabis industry. It clears the confusion around topics such as the distinction between hemp and cannabis and why it matters for consumers and regulators, why CBD isn’t completely legal in the U.S., why and how states differ in their licensing processes, and how deal structuring is impacted by state regulations.
All author profits from The Cannabis Business will be donated to Last Prisoner Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to repairing the harms of cannabis prohibition through intervention, advocacy, and awareness.
About the Authors
The Cannabis Business is co-authored by two of the partners at Vicente Sederberg, Charles S. Alovisetti and Cassia Furman, with contributions from several of the firm's leading attorneys and policy specialists. As such, it reflects the specialized knowledge and collective experience of a top-ranked cannabis law firm that has been at the leading edge of marijuana and hemp law and policy for over a decade.
Vicente Sederberg LLP is a national law firm with offices in Denver, Boston, Los Angeles, New York, Jacksonville, and Austin. It offers a full suite of corporate, legal, policy, regulatory, and research services for all types of plant-touching cannabis and hemp businesses (cultivators, retailers, extractors, product manufacturers, distributors, and testing labs), ancillary businesses, investors, trade associations, and governmental bodies. VS is ranked a Band 1 law firm by Chambers and Partners USA in its "Nationwide: Cannabis Law" practice category, and Business Insider named it one of "the top 7 law firms in cannabis, according to investors, startups and major companies in the booming industry.”
Table of Contents
Introduction – Charles S. Alovisetti
Part I – Understanding the National Landscape and Risks
1. Federal Law and Policy Overview: Cannabis – Charles S. Alovisetti and Carl Werner
3. State Law Overview: Cannabis – Charles S. Alovisetti and Andrew Livingston
4. State Law Overview: Hemp and CBD – Charles S. Alovisetti, Shawn Hauser, Michelle Bodian, and Catie Wightman
6. Risks of Cannabis Investments: Hemp and CBD – Charles S. Alovisetti, Michelle Bodian, and Catie Wightman
Part II – Practical Legal Issues
7. Introduction to Cannabis and Tax Law – Charles S. Alovisetti and Andrew Livingston
9. Introduction to Cannabis and Intellectual Property Law – Charles S. Alovisetti, Matthew Bartling, Barine Majewska, and Michelle Bodian
10. Introduction to Cannabis and Real Estate Law – Cassia Furman and Charles S. Alovisetti
11. Introduction to Cannabis, Securities Law, and Private Placements – Charles S. Alovisetti, Ilya Ross, and Sahar Ayinehsazian
12. Introduction to Cannabis and Banking – Sahar Ayinehsazian and Charles S. Alovisetti
13. Introduction to Cannabis and Insurance – Charles S. Alovisetti
15. Introduction to Cannabis and Social Equity – Cassia Furman and Kelsey Middleton
16. Introduction to Cannabis and Advertising – Cassia Furman, Andrea Golan, and Charles S. Alovisetti
Part III – Getting in the Game: Doing Deals in the Cannabis Industry
17. Introduction to Cannabis and Business Formation – Charles S. Alovisetti, Elliot Y. Choi, and Catie Wightman
18. Introduction to Cannabis, Due Diligence, and Deal Structuring – Charles S. Alovisetti, Elliot Y. Choi, and Sahar Ayinehsazian