J.D., University of Colorado School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Hamilton College
Cassia Furman is a partner at Vicente Sederberg and managing attorney of the firm's California Practice Group based in Los Angeles. In addition to supporting the firm's policy and local government work in California and around the country, she counsels clients on a wide range of transactional, regulatory, and land use issues related to the licensing and operation of California commercial cannabis ventures under MAUCRSA.
Before joining VS, Cassia worked with a noted public finance firm where she oversaw the organization and operations of dozens of special districts in connection with complex public infrastructure projects, including the issuance of multi-million dollar debt issuances. Cassia also assisted in the representation of numerous Colorado municipalities, where her duties included the drafting and implementation of comprehensive medical marijuana ordinances.
Cassia specializes in the intersection of local and state regulation and private industry, having worked on both public and private sides of the negotiating table. Her background in public finance, land use planning, local government law, and commercial real estate provides insight into all phases of permitting and licensed operations. She works extensively with cannabis operators across California, helping the firm's clients navigate the ever-changing regulatory and business landscape and anticipate new impacts and market forces before they occur. In addition to client advocacy, Cassia leads the Los Angeles office, plays an active role in multiple industry groups, and speaks frequently on California cannabis matters.
- Speaker, San Francisco Bar Association , "Cannabis M&A Transaction Primer,” San Francisco , October 30, 2019
- Speaker, NCIA California Cannabis Business Conference, "All Eyes on California: Exploring Recent Regulatory Changes and Correlating Market Dynamics,” Long Beach, October 08, 2019
- Speaker, DCN Legal & Legislative Day, "Advertising for CBD, Hemp and Cannabis - What are the Legal and Regulatory Considerations for Premium Publishers?,” Washington D.C., June 12, 2019
- Speaker, California Bankruptcy Forum, "Fly Me to the Moon: Are Bankruptcies and Receiverships Jointly Avaialble to the Cannabis Industry?,” Palm Springs, May 17, 2019
- Speaker, Hall of Flowers, "Creating a Brand Without Cultivation: White Labeling Laws in 2019,” Los Angeles, May 01, 2019
- Speaker, Cannabis Cover LA, "Cannabis and Commercial Insurance,” Los Angeles, May 23, 2018