As an attorney in Vicente Sederberg's Denver office, Corey's primary focus is regulatory compliance for hemp and marijuana businesses. Whether you are an entrepreneur, business owner, investor or operator, Corey Cox is, in a sense, the translator who helps you understand the cannabis industry's legal restraints, risks, and opportunities, so that you can realize your business plans in a dynamic regulatory environment.
Marijuana-focused clients turn to Corey to help them understand and navigate Marijuana Enforcement Division rules and regulations to secure licenses, manage risk, and develop and sustain compliant operations.
Similarly, Corey assists hemp businesses across the supply chain, both domestically and internationally, to identify, understand, and comply with applicable regulatory requirements. This includes securing necessary local, state and federal licenses/registrations to cultivate and process hemp; guiding clients through FDA regulation of consumable hemp products; and working with client marketing teams to design and implement compliant, risk-informed packaging, labeling and promotional materials.
Corey is a Colorado native and two-time graduate of the University of Colorado. Prior to joining VS as a law clerk in February 2016, Corey worked in the Office of Compliance Services for the University of Colorado Athletics Department.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Cannabis Committee, American Herbal Products Association
- Member, Government Relations Committee, American Herbal Products Association
- Member, Sports Nutrition Committee, American Herbal Products Association
Co-Author, "Preparing for the Rising Demand for Due Diligence in Cannabis Transactions," May 5, 2020
Co-Author, "Coronavirus and Cannabis: Colorado Regulatory Updates," May 1, 2020
Co-Author, "Yes, You Can Help Shape Federal and International Cannabis Policy," April 30, 2020
Co-Author, "A Closer Look at Colorado COVID-19 Relief Programs," April 27, 2020
Co-Author, "What You Need to Know About the FDA Consumer Update on CBD," November 27, 2019
Co-Author, "USDA Hemp Regulations: What Was Expected, Unexpected and Unanswered," October 30, 2019
Co-author, "Five Common Misconceptions About CBD," NCIA Member Blog, May 13, 2019
Co-author, "How Did We Get Here? A Brief History of Cannabis Legalization in Colorado," Law Street, June 30, 2017
- Speaker, Irrigation Association, "Growing Industrial Hemp - Where Irrigation Management and Profits Meet,” Las Vegas, December 05, 2019
- Speaker, CBD Expo , "It's Legal, Or Is It? - A Look At The Legalities Of CBD,” Denver , October 12, 2019
- Speaker, American Herbal Products Association - Hemp-CBD Supplement Congress, "Sports Nutrition ,” Denver, August 15, 2019
- Presenter, MJBizConNEXT, "Hemp Market Outlook,” New Orleans, June 12, 2019
- Speaker, CBOutlook CBD:B2B, ""With Friends Like..." Decoding FDA, USDA & State Plans,” Denver, March 28, 2019
In the Media
- Marijuana Moment, "DEA Unveils New Rule To Finally Allow More Marijuana Growers For Research," March 20, 2020
- Westword, "DEA Involvement Frightening to Colorado Hemp Farmers," January 23, 2020
- HempGrower, "6 Vital Regulatory Insights for Social Media Marketing," January 22, 2020
- Westword, "With Federal Rules Looming Can Hemp Farmers Still Strike Gold?," December 16, 2019
- Natural Products Insider, "Hemp Industry Blasts DEA's Continued Involvement Under USDA Rules," November 14, 2019
- South Dakota Public Broadcasting, "Noem Still Opposes Hemp Despite Federal Guidance," November 5, 2019
- Law360, "4 Top Compliance Issues Facing Hemp Industry," November 5, 2019
- Marijuana Moment, "USDA Releases Video Explainer On Its Draft Rules For Hemp," November 5, 2019
- Hemp Industry Daily, "Five Things CBD Insiders are Looking for From the FDA," May 21, 2019
- NCIA Blog, "Five Common Misconceptions About CBD," May 13, 2019