The State Bar of California
United States Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit; District Court of Columbia Circuit
United States District Courts: Northern District of California; Central District of California; District of Columbia
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles
M.A., New York University
David Kramer is an attorney in Vicente Sederberg's Los Angeles office and a member of the firm's Corporate & Business, Hemp & Cannabinoids, and Litigation & Arbitration departments. His practice focuses on helping commercial cannabis and hemp clients navigate the ever-changing regulatory landscape, and assisting licensed operators, brands, cannabis-focused funds, and ancillary cannabis companies throughout the U.S. execute a wide range of corporate transactions. David also works with clients located outside the U.S. investing in, and licensing cannabis-related technology to, North American cannabis and hemp markets. David is a frequent speaker at industry events and conferences.
Prior to joining Vicente Sederberg, David was an attorney at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, where he litigated intellectual property, antitrust, and False Claims Act cases. David graduated Order of the Coif from the UCLA School of Law, and also holds a Master’s degree in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies from New York University.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, California Hemp Council
- Member, Cannabis Committee, American Herbal Products Association
- Member, Government Relations Committee, American Herbal Products Association
- Advisor, American Israel Cannabis Association
- Member, International Cannabis Bar Association
Sample Representations & Transactions
Acted as corporate and cannabis regulatory counsel to Neptune Wellness Solutions (NASDAQ - TSX:NEPT) in its acquisition of SugarLeaf for up to $150 million USD.
Acted as corporate and cannabis regulatory counsel to Sweet Flower in its acquisition of multiple locations in Southern California.
Acted as cannabis regulatory counsel to Canaccord Genuity LLC on numerous transactions.
Act as hemp regulatory counsel to Receptra Naturals.
Act as corporate and cannabis regulatory counsel to EG Management and Services, Inc., which manages an agricultural cooperative of independent California Cannabis Farmers.
Represented numerous cannabis brands and manufacturers in intellectual property licensing and contract manufacturing agreements.
Represented numerous hemp and cannabis-related startups in debt and equity financing matters.
- Co-author, "Lessons Learned from Recent Hemp and CBD Litigation: They Went to Court so You Can Stay Home," July 13, 2020
Co-author, "Hemp and CBD Federal Roundup: March 2020," March 23, 2020
Author, "California and the Gig Economy: The Fight Over AB-5," March 3, 2020
Co-author, "New Law Regulates Hemp and Hemp Extracts in New York," December 19, 2019
Author, "What's Happening in the World of California Hemp?," June 21, 2019
- Speaker, INCBA Cannabis Law Institute 2019, "State Level Hemp Plans,” New York , October 03, 2019
- Speaker, Cannabis World Congress & Business Exposition, "To Infuse or Not to Infuse (with Hemp CBD), That Is the Question,” Los Angeles, September 25, 2019
- Speaker, CannaFarm Con, "Legalities in Growing Hemp & CBD,” San Diego, August 02, 2019
- Keynote, NCIA Cannabis Business Summit, "Crafting a Federal Hemp Plan for the USDA, Interstate Competitive Issues, and the California Conundrum,” San Jose, July 22, 2019
- Speaker, CBD Expo East, "Regulatory (Re-)Scheduling of CBD & its Drug Abuse Liability,” Orlando, December 07, 2018
- Speaker, CBD Health & Wellness Magazine, "Webinar: The Legalities of CBD in California,” Los Angeles, November 29, 2018
- Speaker, CBD Expo West, "Understanding the Fuzz: The Muddled Legal Landscape Regarding CBD,” Anaheim, September 21, 2018
In the Media
- Law360, "Can Cannabis Survive the Virus? Hemp Has A Leg Up," April 7, 2020
- Hemp Grower, "More States Are Allowing Hemp and CBD in Foods, But Is It Legal?," February 11, 2020
- Law360, "Amid FDA Warning, Hemp Companies Rethink CBD," January 13, 2020
- Law360, "Cannabis Patent Activity Surges Amid Industry Gold Rush," October 16, 2019
- Law360, "Cannabis Patient Activity Surges Amid Industry Gold Rush," October 16, 2019
- Spectrum News 1, "'Inside the Issues with Alex Cohen' - Laws on Possessing CBD In California," June 10, 2019
- Inlander, "Federal Lawmakers Legalized Hemp in December, But a Truck Driver Could Face Five Years in Prison," May 16, 2019
- Law360, "Cannabis Cases To Watch in 2019," January 1, 2019
- Law360, "Cannabis Grower RICO Trial Puts Industry On High Alert," October 26, 2018