David M. Ullian is a Senior Associate Attorney in Vicente Sederberg's Boston office and a member of the firm’s Land Use & Zoning, Licensing, and Regulatory Compliance practice groups. His practice focuses on assisting a wide range of commercial cannabis clients, from multi-state operators to small family-owned companies, obtain state and local cannabis licenses, permits and approvals, and navigate the ever-changing regulatory landscapes of the cannabis industry. David routinely represents clients seeking host community agreements, special permits, site plan approvals and operating permits in municipalities across Massachusetts, and he has helped numerous clients successfully obtain both medical and adult-use cannabis licenses from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Cannabis Control Commission. In addition to his work with marijuana businesses, David is a member of the Vicente Sederberg Hemp & Cannabinoids practice group, where he focuses on the hemp regulatory program in South Carolina.
David received his J.D. from Boston University School of Law, where he was an Editor for the American Journal of Law & Medicine and completed a Concentration in Health Law with Honors. He also interned at Boston Children’s Hospital, the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services, and the American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina. After law school, David was awarded a BU Law Public Service Fellowship to work in the General Counsel’s Office at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. He received his B.A. from Amherst College, and before law school, he worked as a Corporate Legal Assistant at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP in New York City.
Prior to joining VS, David was a Staff Attorney at LibbyHoopes, P.C., a Boston law firm specializing in white collar criminal defense and government investigations. He is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, the District of Columbia, and South Carolina.
- Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2021
Co-author, "New Massachusetts Medical and Adult-Use Marijuana Regulations," November 1, 2019
- Author, "A Rope, A Tree, Hang the Referee!": Exploring the First Amendment Boundaries of Offensive Fan Speech Regulation in College Sports," The Sports Lawyer's Journal, Spring 2016
- Co-author, "Administer But Do Not Dispense: Effect of Change in Medication Handling by Nurses on Home Dialysis Patient Outcomes," The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, February 1, 2016
- Author, "'Well Beyond' Permissible: How Severing the Leadership Act's Policy Requirement Affirms Our Commitment to First Amendment Vales," American Journal of Law & Medicine, December 1, 2012
- Presenter, Boston University - School of Law , "Law & Regulation of Cannabis ,” Boston, March 02, 2020
- Speaker, Weed Wonks, "Episode 6 - Massachusetts Deep Dive with Brandon, David, Casey, and Dan,” Podcast, December 12, 2019