Habeeb Syed is a senior associate attorney in Vicente Sederberg’s Los Angeles office, where he focuses his practice on corporate and business law. Habeeb advises startups and established companies in all matters of corporate law, including contracts, financings, M&A, securities law matters, and tax law. A valuable resource for his clients, Habeeb provides practical and effective legal counsel by factoring business and strategic considerations into his corporate work.
In addition to general corporate work, Habeeb is experienced in advising startups, funds, investors, mining pools, and others in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space. He has helped with ICOs and other token offerings, navigating MSB and securities regulation, and the intersection of blockchain and crypto with various regulatory regimes. He is a frequent speaker at global blockchain and crypto conferences and helped organize the first Pakistan Blockchain Week in 2018.
In his spare time, Habeeb is involved as a charter member of OPEN Washington D.C., organizes pitch competitions and other startup-related events, and serves as a mentor and advisor to startups and blockchain organizations.
Prior to joining VS, Habeeb worked in the Washington D.C. metro area, where he was intimately involved in the startup space. He established a startup accelerator and mentorship program for OPEN Washington D.C., and continues to serve as a co-organizer for the Blockchain, Technology, Law & Policy Meetup and a Korean innovation Center (KIC) Global Mentor.
Habeeb holds a Bachelor of Arts from UC San Diego and a Juris Doctorate from USC Gould School of Law, where he was the president of the Muslim Law Student Association.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Speaker, NFT Expoverse, "Cannabis Cryptocurrency,” Los Angeles, July 29, 2022
- Speaker, LATOKEN VCTV, "Investments in Blockchain: FinTech & Payments,” Online, January 26, 2021
- Speaker, LATOKEN VCTV, "GreenTech, CleanTech, EnvironmentalTech & ESG,” Online, January 20, 2021
- Speaker, LATOKEN Online Roadshow, "Fundraising in the Era of a Pandemic,” Online, April 10, 2020
- Speaker, IDEAS SoCal AI & Data Science Conference, "Navigating the Mutual Push and Pull of Traditional Regulatory Frameworks and Innovative Technology,” Los Angeles, October 26, 2019
- Speaker, LATOKEN Block Summit 2018, "Security Token Offerings,” Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, September 26, 2018
In the Media
- Benzinga, "Decentralized Opportunities: How Cannabis Could Factor Into Web3, The Metaverse," March 25, 2022
- TrustVibes, "Habeeb Syed & Justin Bratton - TrustVibes Interviews | Creative Process," October 9, 2021