J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law
M.M., University of Southern California
B.A., The Hartt School of Music, The University of Hartford
Jeffrey Welsh is a partner at Vicente Sederberg LLP, where he focuses his practice on advising companies, brands, entertainment and media properties, other law firms, and investors on how to navigate the California cannabis marketplace.
Prior to joining VS, Jeffrey worked in Corporate Business Affairs at the largest talent agency in the world, William Morris Endeavor, now WME | IMG, while simultaneously continuing to work in the legal cannabis industry part-time. In this unique position, Mr. Welsh’s goal was to develop an understanding of the nuanced entertainment industry, while concurrently connecting entertainer-advocates with projects and groups actively working in the cannabis space.
In 2015, Jeffrey co-founded Frontera Law Group with Luke Stanton. Through aggressive networking and an unrelenting desire to be the first mover in the cannabis-to-entertainment/media space, Mr. Welsh fostered an extensive network with the current and future tastemakers of the entertainment industry to facilitate deal flow between these two industries.
In April of 2017, Mr. Welsh co-founded a full-service creative agency, Composite. Composite helps guide and grow brands in the legal cannabis industry and specializes in creative & content production, marketing research & strategy, and product development. By navigating this unique path, Mr. Welsh is sensitive to specific legal issues involved in entertainment and cannabis coming together, such as intellectual property, endorsements, licensing, criminal and civil liability and other business and other legal considerations.
Jeffrey holds a Bachelor of Music from the University of Hartford, a Master of Music from the University of Southern California, and a Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University School of Law. Recognized as a thought leader in the California and entertainment communities, Jeffrey frequently speaks at cannabis industry events throughout Southern California.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, California Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Member, National Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Co-author, "How to Start a Cannabis Business in California," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Expanding Your Business into Multiple States," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Succeeding With Entertainment Transactions in Cannabis," MG Magazine, April 5, 2016
- Co-author, "The California Distribution Solution," MG Magazine, April 9, 2016
- Contributor, "Everything You Need to Know About Legal Weed in California," Thrillist, April 9, 2019
- Contributor, "As Cannabis Goes Mainstream, Are Celebrity Brands The Future of the Industry?" Forbes, April 24, 2019
- Speaker, Webjoint, "Connecting Cannabis,” Online, August 21, 2019
- Speaker, New West Summit, "From Music to Cannabis - Pivoting Into A New Industry,” California, October 12, 2018
- Speaker, Cannabis Education Forum, "How to Start and Run a Legal Cannabis Business,” California, August 16, 2017
- Speaker, Cannabis Compliance Summit, "Frontera Law Group,” California, July 09, 2017
In the Media
- GreenEntrepreneur, "Can Cannabis Cure Cancer? What The Research Says, And Claims To Avoid," February 26, 2020
- GreenEntrepreneur, "Budtender Lawsuit Claims Workers Are Paid In Weed, Paid Under The Table, Or Not Paid At All," January 29, 2020
- PR Newswire, "Kings Garden, Inc. Announces Agreement to Launch RHO Phytho Branded Products in California," December 5, 2019
- Law360, "California Cannabis Firm Founders Join Vicente Sederberg," December 4, 2019
- Green Market Report, "Executive Spotlight: Jeffrey Welsh, Co-Founder of Frontera Law Group & Composite Agency," July 8, 2019
- Let's Talk Bitcoin Network, "The Crypto Show: Jeffrey D. Welsh Frontera Law Group & Heather Fazio Texas Marijuana Policy/ MPP," August 16, 2017