J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law
M.M., University of Southern California
B.A., The Hartt School of Music, The University of Hartford
Jeffrey Welsh is a partner at Vicente Sederberg LLP, where he focuses his practice on advising companies, brands, entertainment and media properties, other law firms, and investors on how to navigate the California cannabis marketplace.
Prior to joining VS, Jeffrey worked in Corporate Business Affairs at the largest talent agency in the world, William Morris Endeavor, now WME | IMG, while simultaneously continuing to work in the legal cannabis industry part-time. In this unique position, Mr. Welsh’s goal was to develop an understanding of the nuanced entertainment industry, while concurrently connecting entertainer-advocates with projects and groups actively working in the cannabis space.
In 2015, Jeffrey co-founded Frontera Law Group with Luke Stanton. Through aggressive networking and an unrelenting desire to be the first mover in the cannabis-to-entertainment/media space, Mr. Welsh fostered an extensive network with the current and future tastemakers of the entertainment industry to facilitate deal flow between these two industries.
In April of 2017, Mr. Welsh co-founded a full-service creative agency, Composite. Composite helps guide and grow brands in the legal cannabis industry and specializes in creative & content production, marketing research & strategy, and product development. By navigating this unique path, Mr. Welsh is sensitive to specific legal issues involved in entertainment and cannabis coming together, such as intellectual property, endorsements, licensing, criminal and civil liability and other business and other legal considerations.
Jeffrey holds a Bachelor of Music from the University of Hartford, a Master of Music from the University of Southern California, and a Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University School of Law. Recognized as a thought leader in the cannabis and entertainment communities, Jeffrey frequently speaks at cannabis industry events throughout Southern California.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, California Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Member, National Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Co-author, "How to Start a Cannabis Business in California," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Expanding Your Business into Multiple States," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Succeeding With Entertainment Transactions in Cannabis," MG Magazine, April 5, 2016
- Co-author, "The California Distribution Solution," MG Magazine, April 9, 2016
- Contributor, "Everything You Need to Know About Legal Weed in California," Thrillist, April 9, 2019
- Contributor, "As Cannabis Goes Mainstream, Are Celebrity Brands The Future of the Industry?" Forbes, April 24, 2019
- Speaker, To Be Blunt: The Podcast for Cannabis Marketers, "California Cannabis Status Check with Jeffrey Welsh of Vicente Sederberg,” Podcast, December 21, 2020
- Speaker, The Craft Cannabis Club: Cannabiz Connect, "How to Succeed in Competitive Marijuana Business Licensing | Vicente Sederberg LLP,” Virtual, December 16, 2020
- Speaker, Emerge Virtual Cannabis Conference, "Cannabis Sales & Marketing Track: Partnering with Celebrities & Influencers for Brand Reach,” Virtual Conference, December 15, 2020
- Speaker, University of Hartford "On the Air", "Jeff Welsh, Nov. 30, 2020 UHART to Hartford,” Podcast, November 30, 2020
- Speaker, Lit & Lucid, "Ep.103: Creating a Future in Cannabis,” Podcast, November 12, 2020
- Speaker, Cannabis Radio, "Blunt Business Podcast,” Podcast, October 06, 2020
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Protect Your Brand! Cannabis Trademark Strategies and Benefits,” Webinar, September 23, 2020
- Speaker, Webjoint, "Connecting Cannabis,” Online, August 21, 2019
- Speaker, New West Summit, "From Music to Cannabis - Pivoting Into A New Industry,” California, October 12, 2018
- Speaker, Cannabis Education Forum, "How to Start and Run a Legal Cannabis Business,” California, August 16, 2017
- Speaker, Cannabis Compliance Summit, "Frontera Law Group,” California, July 09, 2017
In the Media
- Highly Capitalized, "Vicente Sederberg: Not Your Average Law Firm," July 13, 2021
- Highly Capitalized Network, "Interview: Salvador Santana: Founder of VAYA Earth," June 25, 2021
- JD Supra, "Cannabis Trademarks 101," April 29, 2021
- Magnetic Magazine, "Envisioning a New Psychedelic Paradigm This Bicycle Day," April 19, 2021
- Magnetic Magazine, "Cannabis Industry Spotlight: Honoring International Women's Day and Women's History Month," March 8, 2021
- Cannabis Therapy Potcast, "Cannabiz Connect: How to Succeed in Competitive Marijuana Business Licensing," December 16, 2020
- University of Hartford "On the Air", "Jeff Welsh, Nov. 30, 2020 UHART to Hartford," November 30, 2020
- The LAnd, "Up in Smoke," November 12, 2020
- Lit & Lucid Podcast, "E.103 ft. Creating a Future in Cannabis ft. Jeffrey Welsh of Vicente Sederberg," November 12, 2020
- Cannabinoid Connect, "Episode #53 - Jeffrey Welsh," October 24, 2020