J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law
M.M., University of Southern California
B.A., The Hartt School of Music, The University of Hartford
Jeffrey Welsh is a partner at Vicente Sederberg LLP, where he focuses his practice on advising companies, brands, entertainment and media properties, other law firms, and investors on how to navigate the California cannabis marketplace.
Prior to joining VS, Jeffrey worked in Corporate Business Affairs at the largest talent agency in the world, William Morris Endeavor, now WME | IMG, while simultaneously continuing to work in the legal cannabis industry part-time. In this unique position, Mr. Welsh’s goal was to develop an understanding of the nuanced entertainment industry, while concurrently connecting entertainer-advocates with projects and groups actively working in the cannabis space.
In 2015, Jeffrey co-founded Frontera Law Group with Luke Stanton. Through aggressive networking and an unrelenting desire to be the first mover in the cannabis-to-entertainment/media space, Mr. Welsh fostered an extensive network with the current and future tastemakers of the entertainment industry to facilitate deal flow between these two industries.
In April of 2017, Mr. Welsh co-founded a full-service creative agency, Composite. Composite helps guide and grow brands in the legal cannabis industry and specializes in creative & content production, marketing research & strategy, and product development. By navigating this unique path, Mr. Welsh is sensitive to specific legal issues involved in entertainment and cannabis coming together, such as intellectual property, endorsements, licensing, criminal and civil liability and other business and other legal considerations.
Jeffrey holds a Bachelor of Music from the University of Hartford, a Master of Music from the University of Southern California, and a Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University School of Law. Recognized as a thought leader in the cannabis and entertainment communities, Jeffrey frequently speaks at cannabis industry events throughout Southern California.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, California Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Member, National Cannabis Industry Association, 2017-2019
- Co-author, "How to Start a Cannabis Business in California," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Expanding Your Business into Multiple States," MG Magazine, January 10, 2016
- Co-author, "Succeeding With Entertainment Transactions in Cannabis," MG Magazine, April 5, 2016
- Co-author, "The California Distribution Solution," MG Magazine, April 9, 2016
- Contributor, "Everything You Need to Know About Legal Weed in California," Thrillist, April 9, 2019
- Contributor, "As Cannabis Goes Mainstream, Are Celebrity Brands The Future of the Industry?" Forbes, April 24, 2019
- Speaker, To Be Blunt: The Podcast for Cannabis Marketers, "California Cannabis Status Check with Jeffrey Welsh of Vicente Sederberg,” Podcast, December 21, 2020
- Speaker, The Craft Cannabis Club: Cannabiz Connect, "How to Succeed in Competitive Marijuana Business Licensing | Vicente Sederberg LLP,” Virtual, December 16, 2020
- Speaker, Emerge Virtual Cannabis Conference, "Cannabis Sales & Marketing Track: Partnering with Celebrities & Influencers for Brand Reach,” Virtual Conference, December 15, 2020
- Speaker, University of Hartford "On the Air", "Jeff Welsh, Nov. 30, 2020 UHART to Hartford,” Podcast, November 30, 2020
- Speaker, Lit & Lucid, "Ep.103: Creating a Future in Cannabis,” Podcast, November 12, 2020
- Speaker, Cannabis Radio, "Blunt Business Podcast,” Podcast, October 06, 2020
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Protect Your Brand! Cannabis Trademark Strategies and Benefits,” Webinar, September 23, 2020
- Speaker, Webjoint, "Connecting Cannabis,” Online, August 21, 2019
- Speaker, New West Summit, "From Music to Cannabis - Pivoting Into A New Industry,” California, October 12, 2018
- Speaker, Cannabis Education Forum, "How to Start and Run a Legal Cannabis Business,” California, August 16, 2017
- Speaker, Cannabis Compliance Summit, "Frontera Law Group,” California, July 09, 2017
In the Media
- Forbes, "Creating Space For The Cannabis And Psychedelic Diaspora To Honor Women," March 8, 2022
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Laura Albers: CEO: Oasis Intelligence," February 4, 2022
- Marijuana Business Daily, "NFTs: A scam – or a smart play for marijuana companies?," February 2, 2022
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Marc Ross: Head of Impact & ESG: Vicente Sederberg," January 24, 2022
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Shawn Hauser & Andrea Golan: Vicente Sederberg," January 23, 2022
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Michael King: CEO: KINGS GARDEN," January 20, 2022
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Foxy Cannabis Brand: Ryan Littman and Nico Dios," December 27, 2021
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Tengku Jamidah: CEO of Halal Hemp," November 10, 2021
- Highly Capitalized, "Interview: Loriel & Anthony Alegrete: CEO & COO: 40 Tons Brand," November 2, 2021
- Highly Capitalized, "Cannabis Market Update: Panel Discussion ft. Charles Alovisetti & Christopher Stefan," October 28, 2021