Jordan Wellington serves of counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP, and he is a partner at the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He has played a key role in drafting cannabis legislation and regulations in Colorado and other states, and he regularly advises government officials, businesses, and organizations from around the U.S. and across the globe on the responsible regulation of cannabis.
Jordan joined Vicente Sederberg as Compliance Director in 2014 and helped launch the firm's regulatory compliance practice. He also co-founded a cannabis regulatory compliance software company, Simplifya, where he continues to serve as an advisor.
Previously, Jordan was a legislative staffer in the Colorado House of Representatives, where he shepherded legislation through the General Assembly to implement the state’s voter-approved legalization law, Amendment 64. He was then hired as a senior regulatory analyst for the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division in the state Department of Revenue, where he organized the division's stakeholder engagement process and drafted many of the state regulations governing retail and medical cannabis.
Jordan has served on several advisory boards and working groups dedicated to developing sensible cannabis policies, and he has co-authored white papers on behalf of cannabis industry organizations regarding cannabis packaging, labeling, and testing policies. He frequently appears in the media discussing cannabis policy and business matters, and he is a co-host of Weed Wonks, a podcast focused on cannabis policy. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he teaches a class titled, “Regulating Cannabis."
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Work Group on Legislation Implementation HB20-1424 - "Social Equity," Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Work Group on Sustainability / Science & Policy, Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Cannabis Equity Coalition
- Blizzy Magazine, "Top Social Equity Cannabis Power Player," 2020
Co-author, "Coronavirus and Cannabis: Colorado Regulatory Updates," May 1, 2020
In the Media
- The Denver Post, "Marijuana Delivery, Social Equity Reform and Other Colorado Cannabis Trends to Watch in 2021," December 29, 2020
- CPR News, "Polis Issues New ‘narrow’ Pardons for 2,732 Marijuana-related Convictions," October 1, 2020
- CBS Denver, "Gov. Jared Polis Pardons Nearly 3,000 Marijuana Convictions Pre-Legalization," October 1, 2020
- CannabisWire, "Colorado: Debate Continues Ahead of Rulemaking on Cannabis and Equity," August 28, 2020
- ColoradoNews Online, "Mass Pardons for past Marijuana Crimes Offer Hope for Thousands," August 18, 2020
- CannabisWire, "Colorado: New State Work Group Holds First Meeting on Cannabis Equity," July 31, 2020
- CannabisWire, "Colorado Forms New Cannabis Equity Workgroup," July 17, 2020
- Denver Business Journal, "Essentially on Their Own," April 16, 2020
- Law Week Colorado, "The Slow Rollout of Medical Marijuana Delivery," April 16, 2020
- High Times, "Colorado Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensaries Reopen For In-Store Purchases," March 31, 2020