Jordan Wellington is vice president of government affairs for VS Strategies, a public affairs firm specializing in cannabis policy, and he is of counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP, an affiliated national cannabis law firm. Jordan has played a key role in drafting cannabis legislation and regulations in Colorado and other states, and he regularly advises government officials, businesses, and organizations from around the U.S. and across the globe on the responsible regulation of cannabis.
Jordan joined Vicente Sederberg as Compliance Director in 2014 and helped launch the firm's regulatory compliance practice. He also co-founded a cannabis regulatory compliance software company, Simplifya, where he continues to serve as an advisor.
Previously, Jordan was a legislative staffer in the Colorado House of Representatives, where he shepherded legislation through the General Assembly to implement the state’s voter-approved legalization law, Amendment 64. He was then hired as a senior regulatory analyst for the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division in the state Department of Revenue, where he organized the division's stakeholder engagement process and drafted many of the state regulations governing retail and medical cannabis.
Jordan has served on several advisory boards and working groups dedicated to developing sensible cannabis policies, and he has co-authored white papers on behalf of cannabis industry organizations regarding cannabis packaging, labeling, and testing policies. He frequently appears in the media discussing cannabis policy and business matters, and he is a co-host of Weed Wonks, a podcast focused on cannabis policy. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he teaches a class titled, “Regulating Cannabis."
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar, January 22, 2020
In the Media
- High Times , "Colorado Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensaries Reopen For In-Store Purchases," March 31, 2020
- Westword, "Colorado Customers Can Enter Recreational Pot Shops Again," March 30, 2020
- Denver Business Journal , "Colorado Legalized Cannabis Delivery But No One's Bringing The Weed Yet - Here's Why," January 30, 2020
- KUSA-TV Online, "These New Marijuana Laws Still Need Local Approval," January 3, 2020
- Marijuana Today, "Episode 284 - Back in Vegas! Marijuana Today Goes All In," December 24, 2019
- Denver Business Journal , "Experts: $140M Cannabis Acquisition Signals Turning Point For Colorado Industry," November 13, 2019
- Politico, "Pass the Duchy: Luxembourg’s grand plan to legalize cannabis," July 30, 2019
- Denver Business Journal, "Here's where Colorado ranks nationwide for cannabis venture capital investments," July 25, 2019
- AP News, "Legal pot is coming, but will there be enough places to puff?," June 16, 2019
- Marijuana Business Magazine, "Cannabis Corporate Governance," May 31, 2019