Jordan Wellington serves of counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP, and he is a partner at the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He has played a key role in drafting cannabis legislation and regulations in Colorado and other states, and he regularly advises government officials, businesses, and organizations from around the U.S. and across the globe on the responsible regulation of cannabis.
Jordan joined Vicente Sederberg as Compliance Director in 2014 and helped launch the firm's regulatory compliance practice. He also co-founded a cannabis regulatory compliance software company, Simplifya, where he continues to serve as an advisor.
Previously, Jordan was a legislative staffer in the Colorado House of Representatives, where he shepherded legislation through the General Assembly to implement the state’s voter-approved legalization law, Amendment 64. He was then hired as a senior regulatory analyst for the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division in the state Department of Revenue, where he organized the division's stakeholder engagement process and drafted many of the state regulations governing retail and medical cannabis.
Jordan has served on several advisory boards and working groups dedicated to developing sensible cannabis policies, and he has co-authored white papers on behalf of cannabis industry organizations regarding cannabis packaging, labeling, and testing policies. He frequently appears in the media discussing cannabis policy and business matters, and he is a co-host of Weed Wonks, a podcast focused on cannabis policy. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he teaches a class titled, “Regulating Cannabis."
Co-Author, "Coronavirus and Cannabis: Colorado Regulatory Updates," May 1, 2020
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar, January 22, 2020
In the Media
- Denver Business Journal, "Essentially on Their Own," April 16, 2020
- Law Week Colorado, "The Slow Rollout of Medical Marijuana Delivery," April 16, 2020
- High Times, "Colorado Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensaries Reopen For In-Store Purchases," March 31, 2020
- Marijuana Central, "Colorado Customers Can Enter Adult Use Cannabis Shops Again," March 31, 2020
- Westword, "Colorado Customers Can Enter Recreational Pot Shops Again," March 30, 2020
- Cannabis Wire, "Colorado Lawmakers Advance Bill to Eliminate the Industry’s Residency Requirement," March 7, 2020
- QC Times, "Could Oregon Cannabis Solve Illinois' Supply Shortage? Maybe In The Future.," March 6, 2020
- Denver Business Journal , "Colorado Legalized Cannabis Delivery But No One's Bringing The Weed Yet - Here's Why," January 30, 2020
- KUSA-TV Online, "These New Marijuana Laws Still Need Local Approval," January 3, 2020
- Marijuana Today, "Episode 284 - Back in Vegas! Marijuana Today Goes All In," December 24, 2019