Phil Silverman is a partner in Vicente Sederberg's Boston office. As a leading member of the firm’s Massachusetts Land Use & Zoning and Licensing practice groups, he assists clients in developing strategies to create working relationships with municipalities to implement a practical and business-friendly approach to operations. Phil guides clients through real estate development issues affecting the business and the local permitting and licensing processes. He has developed community outreach programs, impact plans and negotiated host community agreements with over 100 Massachusetts cities and towns.
Since 2021, Phil has been named one of "Boston's Top Lawyers" by Boston magazine. In 2022 and 2023, he was recognized by Best Lawyers for his work in land use and zoning law.
Prior to joining VS, Phil practiced commercial law in Boston for more than 25 years, with a focus on business bankruptcy reorganizations and personal insolvency matters. He was also the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel for MassMedicum Corp., one of the first twenty licensed medical marijuana dispensaries in Massachusetts. Phil holds degrees from Dartmouth College and the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Co-author, "Exploring Alternatives to Bankruptcy for Cannabis Businesses," April 17, 2020
Co-author, "Can Hemp Companies Declare Bankruptcy?" September 27, 2019
- Author, "10 Tips for U.S. Cannabis Businesses Facing an Economic Downturn," Marijuana Business Daily, May 20, 2020
- Speaker, 24th Annual New England Bankruptcy Law Conference, "Cannabis and Insolvency,” Boston, January 12, 2023
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Massachusetts Cannabis Regulatory Update,” Online, August 31, 2022
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Cannabis Policy & Your New Jersey Community: Municipal Working Session,” Webinar, June 24, 2021
- Speaker, The Business of Cannabis Forum, "Community Relations: Changing the Conversation and Local Business Landscape,” Boston, June 11, 2019
In the Media
- WickedLocal, "Marijuana Cultivator-manufacturer Looking to Open in Wareham Gets ZBA OK," September 22, 2021
- Marijuana Business Daily, "10 Tips for US Cannabis Businesses Facing an Economic Downturn," May 20, 2020
- Athol Daily News Online, "Athol Selectboard OKs Host Agreement for Marijuana Operation," January 11, 2020
- Worcester Business Journal, "Marijuana Subpoenas Cause a Stir Among Central Mass. Communities," November 27, 2019
- The Reminder, "First Recreational Cannabis Store to Open Shortly in Chicopee, More Coming," April 11, 2019
- Worcester Telegram & Gazette, "Marijuana Drives New Industry in Central Mass. Cities, Towns," April 5, 2019