Steve serves of counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP, and he is co-founder and managing partner of the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He is one of the leading figures in the movement to create a legal, regulated marijuana market in the United States.
Steve co-founded the National Cannabis Industry Association, which now represents more than 2,000 cannabis businesses, and he is a strategic advisor to the Cannabis Trade Federation. He served as director of government relations and director of state campaigns for the Marijuana Policy Project from 2002-2005 and 2009-2013, respectively, during which time he lobbied Congress and guided numerous ballot initiative campaigns, including the Amendment 64 campaign in Colorado. He also guided a lobbying team through the Amendment 64 implementation process.
In 2005, Steve conceptualized and co-founded Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER) in Colorado with the express purpose to educate the public about the fact that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and change voters' mindset. He is also co-author of "Marijuana is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?", which is based on the strategy proven successful in Colorado.
In the Media
- GreenCamp, "U.S. Marijuana Companies Fight for Federal Coronavirus Aid," April 23, 2020
- Marijuana Business Daily, "Marijuana Lobbyists Focus on next Big Coronavirus-aid Package after Doling out $5 Million-plus in 2019," April 22, 2020
- Marijuana Moment, "IRS Rejects Watchdog Recommendations to Provide Marijuana Business Tax Guidance," April 2, 2020
- S&P Global, "Biden, Sanders 2020 Campaigns Aim for Looser Federal Cannabis Restrictions," March 31, 2020
- Marijuana Moment, "Could Bernie Sanders Actually Legalize Marijuana Nationwide On Day One As President?," February 4, 2020
- Law360, "Cannabis Lobby Grows As Congress Mellows Out On Pot," November 15, 2019
- Cannabis Business Executive, "Leader of the Pack: Vicente Sederberg," January 29, 2019