Steve serves of counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP, and he is co-founder and managing partner of the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He is one of the leading figures in the movement to create a legal, regulated marijuana market in the United States.
Steve co-founded the National Cannabis Industry Association, which now represents more than 2,000 cannabis businesses, and he is a strategic advisor to the Cannabis Trade Federation. He served as director of government relations and director of state campaigns for the Marijuana Policy Project from 2002-2005 and 2009-2013, respectively, during which time he lobbied Congress and guided numerous ballot initiative campaigns, including the Amendment 64 campaign in Colorado. He also guided a lobbying team through the Amendment 64 implementation process.
In 2005, Steve conceptualized and co-founded Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER) in Colorado with the express purpose to educate the public about the fact that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and change voters' mindset. He is also co-author of "Marijuana is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?", which is based on the strategy proven successful in Colorado.
- Co-author, Marijuana is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2013
- Author, "Cannabis in the 2020 Election: All Eyes on the U.S. Senate," October 26, 2020
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Webinar: Post-election Opportunities in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar, November 19, 2020
In the Media
- Marijuana Business Daily, "Senate Majority Leader Schumer’s Marijuana Reform Push Embraced, but Stiff Challenges Await," February 11, 2021
- Weed Life News, "National Cannabis Advocates Predict the Course of Marijuana Reform," January 28, 2021
- Marijuana Business Daily, "With Democrats in Charge, Cannabis Advocates Upbeat about Us Reforms – but Legalization Uncertain," January 27, 2021
- Marijuana Business Daily, "Biden to Tap Merrick Garland for Attorney General, Offering Stark Contrast to Anti-cannabis AGs under Trump," January 6, 2021
- Benzinga, "The Plant Continues to Win House Support as Representatives Vote on Medical Marijuana Research Act," December 10, 2020
- Marijuana Business Daily, "US House Passes Bill to Expedite, Expand Medical Cannabis Research," December 9, 2020
- Marijuana Business Daily, "US House Passes Historic Bill to Legalize Marijuana at Federal Level, but Senate Looms," December 4, 2020
- Marijuana Moment, "House Approves Federal Marijuana Legalization Bill in Historic Vote," December 4, 2020
- Cannabis Business Times, "2020 Election Results: What Comes Next for Cannabis?," December 4, 2020
- Cannabis Business Executive, "Results of the 2020 Elections," December 3, 2020