Travis Copenhaver is a partner in Vicente Sederberg’s Michigan office, where he focuses on cannabis business licensing, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance. In his licensing work, Travis advises new and existing cannabis businesses in initiating, developing, and expanding their presence in the Michigan cannabis market. As an experienced intellectual property attorney, Travis provides consultation in brand development and trademark applications, clearance, maintenance, and enforcement.
In 2015, Travis began his career in cannabis working with one of the key authors of the legislation that became PA 281 of 2016, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act. Since then, his practice has grown in tandem with Michigan’s emerging cannabis industry. Travis's experience with the state’s cannabis legislation and working groups, in addition to his connections with municipalities across the state, makes him a vital resource for clients.
A leading voice on cannabis law in Michigan, Travis has presented at many events and seminars and is a go-to source for local reporters. He also hosted a weekly live show discussing cannabis legal issues and news.
Travis holds degrees from Case Western Reserve University School of Law and the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Stakeholder Workgroup for Special Licenses, Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agency
- Inaugural Member, Cannabis Law Section, Michigan State Bar
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property and the Medical Marijuana Industry," Michigan Bar Journal, August 2016
- Speaker, The Seminar Group, "The Business of Marijuana in Michigan,” Grand Rapids, April 10, 2019
- Speaker, Michigan Cannabis Business and Compliance Seminar, "Getting Ready for Recreational Cannabis: What You Need to Know Now,” Detroit, October 11, 2018
- Moderator, Cannabusiness Live, "Interview with [MRA] Director Andrew Brisbo,” Lansing, September 12, 2018
- Speaker, Strategies for a Successful Cannabusiness and Winning Facilities, "How to Build, Register, License and Protect Your Brand and Intellectual Property,” Detroit, December 08, 2017
In the Media
- Crain's Detroit Business, "Michigan's Largest Cannabis Retail Towns Reflect History, Culture — and Strategy," October 10, 2021
- Law360, "Vicente Sederberg Taps Into Mich. Pot Market With New Hire," September 30, 2021
- Sturgis Journal, "Burr Oak Township hears from medical-marijuana proponents," November 3, 2020
- The Hemp Mag, "2018 Midterms: Hemp on the Ballot in Colorado & Michigan," October 31, 2018
- Detroit Free Press, "Home Delivery for Medical Marijuana? Michigan Regulators Consider It," September 17, 2018
- MichiganLive, "Medical Marijuana Home Delivery under Consideration in Michigan," August 29, 2018
- Big Buds Mag, "The Pleasant Pot Peninsula: Will Michigan’s Cannabis Industry Eclipse California’s?," August 2, 2018
- MiBiz, "Michigan Farmers Welcome Opportunity to Grow Industrial Hemp," June 9, 2018
- MichiganLive, "Portage Sets May 10 Hearing on Medical Marijuana Issue," April 27, 2016