Fund Formation & Alternative Investments
As a firm that specializes in the cannabis and hemp industries, Vicente Sederberg LLP is uniquely positioned to provide sophisticated market intelligence and cutting-edge legal solutions to sponsors, investors and other participants in alternative investment funds.
We have extensive knowledge of the cannabis space, and several of our attorneys have experience with complex transactions while at international law firms, allowing VS to provide exceptional corporate and regulatory counsel to sponsors raising small to midsize funds or other investment structures, including special purpose vehicles. For investors, we offer corporate and regulatory reviews of the terms of investment funds, whether such funds are directly or indirectly engaged in hemp or cannabis activities. We also provide corporate and regulatory counsel across the entire life cycle of these complex vehicles, covering organization and economic arrangements for sponsors, fund formation, downstream transactions, exits, firm and fund restructurings, buy-side work, secondaries, and wind downs. Our specialized experience also allows us to provide a distinctive service to other law firms in need of cannabis or hemp regulatory counsel.
Our corporate practice includes more than 20 attorneys based in California, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, and New York, where they are deeply involved in cannabis regulatory work across all of the major medical and recreational cannabis state markets. This on-the-ground experience allows VS to help clients implement customized, practical strategies in the investment fund space.
- Corporate and regulatory representation of sponsors in the formation of small to midsize private investment funds and special purpose vehicles.
- Providing specific cannabis regulatory advice to law firms engaged in fund formation services.
- Corporate and regulatory counsel to investment funds in the course of their “downstream” investments.
- Corporate and regulatory representation of investors seeking to transfer their interests in private investment funds.
- Represented a client in the creation of a special purpose vehicle for a marijuana investment.
- Prepared fund formation documents for a cannabis-specific fund.