[Webinar] EHS in the Cannabis Industry: What Happens When the E stands for Enforcement?
Oct 26, 2021
Environmental regulators have recently taken significant enforcement actions against cannabis companies who violate fundamental environmental laws. What can other cannabis and hemp operators learn from these cases?
Watch this session to learn about recent state and federal environmental enforcement actions, how to comply with EHS laws to avoid a similar fate, and what to do if a regulator knocks on your door or issues you an official warning or administrative order.
Members of VS’s EHS practice were joined by Louis Dundin of the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, Environmental Protection Division and Jeff Lawrence of the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment, Division of Environmental Health and Sustainability. These special guests provided insight into state environmental law enforcement—particularly, how cases can escalate from minor violations to a full-blown lawsuit from the state.
During the session, presenters discussed:
- Lessons learned from cannabis and hemp operators who were subject to EHS enforcement actions
- Types of violations that rise to the level of an administrative order or fine
- Tips to stay in compliance with the laws to avoid environmental orders and penalties
- How to respond when a federal or state EHS employee wants access to your property
- What to do if you receive a letter of warning/violation, corrective action, administrative order, or complaint
- Michelle Bodian - Senior Associate Attorney, Co-Chair of EHS Practice
- Marc Ross - Counsel, Head of Impact & ESG, Co-Chair of EHS Practice
- Louis Dundin - Senior Enforcement Counsel, Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General
- Jeff Lawrence - Director, Division of Environmental Health and Sustainability, CDPHE